TheCuteKid - Smile. Snap. Show the World
Home How It Works Prizes Winners Submit A Photo
The Cute Kid : Cute Kids Photo Contests Online

SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in Log in   

How to avoid modeling scams- From agent Jacque Pedersen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.thecutekid.com Forum Index -> SAFETY IN THE BIZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: How to avoid modeling scams- From agent Jacque Pedersen Reply with quote

Some of the warning signs may indicate a scam or a less then legitimate or poorly run modeling agency. It does not necessarily mean that they are not legitimate operations but be sure to ask lots of questions.
*Newspaper classified ad or display ad looking for any kind of model or talent other than nude glamour modeling. Modeling agencies have plenty of people coming to them so they don’t have to advertise for models.
*Pictures of famous supermodels on the walls since it is obvious that small modeling agencies have never represented Cindy Crawford.
*Any up front fees. This might be signing fees, new account fees or evaluation fees. If an agency has to charge money in the beginning, it means the agency does not have enough modeling work for the agency to survive on jobs they are able to get for their models.
*They want you to pay for test shots. Legitimate agencies will provide you with a list of photographers that you may go to. You should be free to go to any photographer you want to. If the agency tells you that you must use their photographer, it’s a bad sign.
*They want you to take classes with their agency before offering you work.
*They say they can guarantee work. Modeling agencies are not employers. They can only represent you to try and get you work. Most of the time they don’t know for sure what type of jobs will come in or what look may be needed, thus there is no way they can guarantee you work.
If you live in Texas, Florida or California make sure you see the Agency license displayed in the front office! If you live in any other state, check with your state’s licensing office to see if talent agents must be licensed in your state. You can also check with Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and the Association of Talent Agents (ATA) for a list of franchised agents in your state.
Sarah4791

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never be sure who you are dealing with. I know someone who got into a bad situation. Luckily nothing dangerous happened but who knows what could have happened.
Hot Mama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips. I now know what to look for when selecting a modeling agency. I get so worried of scams.
Mamamia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always see classified ads asking for new models. I sometimes see them on the tv. Is it ok to trust a t.v comercial?
idtwinsmom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamamia wrote:
I always see classified ads asking for new models. I sometimes see them on the tv. Is it ok to trust a t.v comercial?

Legitimate agencies do NOT advertise so no, I would stay away from any agency who advertises on TV. I'd say, the best place to find a good agent is through SAG.
idtwinsmom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamamia wrote:

Legitimate agencies do NOT advertise so no, I would stay away from any agency who advertises on TV. I'd say, the best place to find a good agent is through SAG.
Meghan1809

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on this cute kid site we are asked to pay. that makes me a little leary considering in this post paying upfront is one of the scam signs. I am just confussed and would like tohave this cleared up. thank you so much
idtwinsmom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meghan1809 wrote:
on this cute kid site we are asked to pay. that makes me a little leary considering in this post paying upfront is one of the scam signs. I am just confussed and would like tohave this cleared up. thank you so much

We are saying that legitimate agents do not require you to pay to be represented. A career in this business, like any well paying career, will require one to spend money. In the biz, you need good marketing materials (heashots, model cards once you are over 4 years of age), at some point you will need classes, you may need to travel to the big markets to get representation or attend auditions/work. All of this costs money! It is great when you get to a point where you are making more than you are spending!
I look upon this site as another way parents can market their child.
Florence0518

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: national discovery network Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info about national discovery network?
Danny0719

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must carefull to take the steps.. thanks for let us know Very Happy
Joe and Tamra4382

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: It is a Business Mom ! Not free! Reply with quote

I see so many folks complaining about costing money and advertising cost. I have to say whoever thinks this is a free ride because they have a cute kid, well think again. There is thousands of cute kids and in todays age, marketing is a must mom and without it you will lag behind if not for a fluke. It will take a ton of hard work and a lot of decision making and it will take your money too. Nineteen dollars for entrance is not bad if this is what you want (your kid to be noticed) and after the nineteen dollars, you must work hard and be dedicated if you are wanting jobs in the entertaining industry. I do not know personally the all legit agency's or the not legit ones, but bet it takes money to find that out too, phone calls and letters and meetings and so on, it is all about money in 2010. If not, please tell me where to go??? It is called business. I wish it was not so complicated but if something is worth it then striving for it is too. You best believe even doctors advertise now, hospital advertise, pharmacies advertise. Watch TV! Some of those TV ads are $1000'S a minute and much more ... So go for it if it is what you want to do and beware, it is your child and there are major scams but there are tons of great ones too. We have always been lucky as to our judgements therfore surrounded with good people in the industry (angels have been there) because of hard work ... And are preserverence also dedication and faith and talent... So go for it but keep your billfold handy. "TRUST BUT VERIFY" Ronald Reagan Quote we believe. By the way, we are still striving 2nd generation and it is a lot of work but a lot of fun also ..
Grand Ma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.thecutekid.com Forum Index -> SAFETY IN THE BIZ All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: